DENTAL IMPLANT ADVICE AND INDICATIONS BEFORE AND AFTER IMPLANT INSERTIONS SURGERY
DENTAL IMPLANT ADVICE BEFORE IMPLANT INSERTION:
- We recommend you use a chlorhexidine mouthwash to lower the number of intra-oral micro-organisms.
- The night before surgery, at 9 p.m., take a pill of 1000 mg Augmentin. Continue the treatment for 5-7 days, every 12 hours.
- For surgery on the upper jaw which comprises the maxillary sinus area, use nose drops not nose spray (Rinofug, Bixtonim etc. )-2 drops in every nostril. Stay away from nasal sprays (use drops), because since you will need to continue the treatment after surgery, you want to avoid putting pressure in the area.
- Wear comfortable clothes
- Eat easily digestible food at least 1 hour prior to surgery.
- When you arrive to the clinic at scheduled hour, take another 1000 mg Augmentin pill (the third pill) and an anti-inflammatory drug (e.g. Nurofen Forte 400 mg)
DENTAL IMPLANT ADVICE FOLLOWING SURGERY
Please follow antibiotic treatment!
When the anesthetic starts to fade away, take some pain killers (e.g. Algocalmin). After 4 hours, take an anti-inflammatory (Nurofen Forte). Then, every 4 hours, alternate Algocalmin and Nurofen, for 3 days
Immediately after surgery, we recommend you apply cold bandages for 15 minutes, with 15 minute breaks, for 3 days, to reduce or eliminate normal post-operative swelling. If you skip this step, you might wake up with a massive swelling by day three. It gradually goes down. Generally, the swelling goes away after 5-7 days
Apply antiseptic gels (Elugel) and healing (Gengigel) gels on the wound, 4-5 times a day, without massaging. Don’t rinse your moth and don’t wash your teeth on the day of the surgery. After you have surgery Procedure start using chlorhexidine mouthwash 24 hours later and rinse lightly after and between meals for one week.
2 hours after surgery, throw away the sterile bandages.
In the first 24 hours after surgery, you may eat soft food and avoid very cold or hot food.
Don’t smoke or drink alcohol during the first 24 hours. These actions can delay healing.
SURGERY WHICH INVOLVES THE SINUSES
- Use decongestant drops for the following week and avoid pressure inside the superior airways.
- Don’t blow your nose.
- Sneeze with your moth open.
- Don’t exercise.
- Don’t hold your head upside down.
- Elevate your pillow.
- Don’t drink alcohol or soft drinks.
- Smoking is prohibited after implant surgery! If you can’t quit smoking, try to refrain for a while so you won’t jeopardize the healing process.